Privacy of Personal Information
The Higher Education Finance Reform initiative is a project of College Futures Foundation (the “Foundation”). The Foundation is committed to the responsible use of personal information collected from and about grantees, students, staff, business partners and others who provide such information to us and to compliance with both state and federal regulations concerning the use of personal information. Such personal information includes any number that may be used, alone or in conjunction with any other information, to identify a specific individual; or other personal information that could be used to cause financial or reputational harm to an individual. This policy applies to information that is collected by any means whether electronically, by telephone, or on paper.
Limits on Use and Access
The responsible use of personal information requires that the Foundation respect individual privacy, protect against identity theft and other unauthorized uses, and comply fully with all laws and government regulations in the collection, use, storage, display, distribution and disposal of such information. Authorized uses of personal information within the Foundation are limited to those which a) are necessary to meet legal and regulatory requirements; b) facilitate access to services, transactions, facilities and information; or c) support efficient philanthropic and administrative processes.
Access to personal information is limited to:
- The individual whose information is produced or displayed,
- A Foundation employee or agent of the Foundation with authorized access based upon a legitimate mission or business interest and a need to know,
- An organization or person authorized by the individual to receive the information,
- A legally authorized government entity or representative, or other circumstances in which the Foundation is legally compelled to provide access to personal information, or
- Other individuals or entities, as allowed by law, for purposes judged to be appropriate or necessary for the reasonable conduct of Foundation business.
Department and Personal Responsibility
Each Foundation department is responsible for reviewing and monitoring internal procedures, reports and other documents to assure compliance with this policy. This responsibility includes providing training and control systems for the responsible use of personal information that is accessible to employees for doing the work of the department. The Foundation expects that all members of the community also will exercise caution in making available their own personal information to others. In particular, individuals should not give others access to their building pass, passwords or personal identification numbers.
Online Collection of Personal Information